Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ripe for the Picking ~Garden Update wk9

Here is our first Tomato harvest for the summer!
And just in time since the Tomato Salmonella outbreak has hit Florida.


Other than the tomatoes...I think the Banana Peppers are ready.
I had a failed attempt at lettuce. When I first planted the garden I planted seeds for Romaine & Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce. I think I was a little too late and it got too hot here in Florida.
I do have a packet of Seed Savers Lettuce Mixture that I may plant since my 2 lettuce squares are empty now. I'm not sure if they will be a success this time of year but I'll give it a try.

I also pulled up a Carrot to see how they are coming along...still very small although the packet says 65 Days to Harvest. Sorry no pic's but they are Burpee Little Finger Carrots
The length was ok when I picked them but they were very thin.

I am such a newbie at this! With the exception of Herbs and Tomatoes I haven't grown much else.

I'll take pictures on the whole Garden again for the 10 week update to see if any readers have advice.

~Patricia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW your tomatoes look great!!! I can't wait until we get some! that salmonella outbreak had us all in a tisy here. my toddler eats them for snacks with a little salt and pepper and i was worried that we may have / or had some that were tainted. luckily we never saw any signs/symptoms. but it's always easier to trust your own harvest!